Thursday, August 14, 2008

Yellow Rat Bastard

A pattern is emerging. It appears that my book is decidedly "lowbrow." First New York Magazine placed it in the lowbrow/brilliant quadrant of their Approval Matrix, and now YRB Magazine has dubbed it "Lowbrow Lit." This latest assessment can be found in the new issue, #84, featuring Nas on the cover. The Brooklyn-based periodical gave Things that Suck a great review, and placed it up front in their Jump Off section. Thanks for the hook-up, guys. Please give Alicia Keys my phone number.


I should point out that while I have now been embraced by my black brethren, Heeb magazine has yet to step up and help a Hebrew out. Their latest issue, which I couldn't resist picking up, features an all-Jew swimsuit calendar.
My favorite pin-up happens to be Donna Feldman, perched on a surfboard with a copy of Portnoy's Complaint. Less impressive is their choice of book reviews, such as "The Big Penis Book," a coffee table tribute to over-sized schlongs. And I'm the one they call "lowbrow."